Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Benefits of Learning How to Cook

I grew up in a very large family composed of a dozen of children, 6 boys and 6 girls. One can imagine how a 14-seater dining table is filled with food day in and day out on normal, ordinary days. In a large family like ours, kitchen is always the busiest part. Having a family of my own, I just can't help admiring my parents. They managed to feed us varieties of food daily, complete and healthy. Both my mother and father knew how to cook. During those olden times, mothers usually stayed home, acted as just plain housewives, attending to every needs of the family members. My father cooked more often than my mother did. He really loved to cook and this worked best for the whole household, minus one chore for my mother. We were trained to help in the preparation of the ingredients (and in almost all household chores). Even the smallest task as peeling, mincing or chopping or washing the utensils, was a big deal to us when we were young, For me, I felt I contributed a lot already. We had so much fun and enjoyed each other in the kitchen, until such time that we were the ones cooking for the family already and my parents were just watching
From the scenario in our family kitchen, had my parents didn't know how to cook, bonding with the rest of the family while cooking in the kitchen would never be possible. The point here, it helped greatly in fostering good relationships among family members and at the same time, everyone learned even just the very basic in cooking.
Learning and knowing how to cook can flourish into a food business. And we all know that food- related businesses can most likely succeed than fail, food being a basic need. Even the smallest food stall that carries only a single product and requires a simple cooking technique as frying or grilling can be a good source of income.
On friends and family gatherings, special occasions like weddings and birthdays, food is essential. A gathering or a party can never be called one if there's no food served. And rendering such occasion requires a lot of expenses. Normally, there is a need to hire a cook or a chef or a catering service to attend to the food to be served. But, if one or several members of the family can cook, expenses for this can be lessened. Foods to be served can most likely be delicious and satisfying since they are prepared by cooks who definitely knew the guests likes and tastes.
There are still lots of advantages that cooking brings. All of the above mentioned are just but some reasons why one should learn how to cook. I only have this to say, this is one most satisfying, fulfilling and most gratifying task that one needs to learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment